Finding Good History Research Paper Topics
Finding a topic for a research paper often proves harder than writing the paper itself. If the faculty specifying the type and category provides no clear instructions then the arena becomes confusingly huge. The best, and probably the only way, to write a good research paper is to select a topic that interests you. Think about it. What is it in your History course that rivets your attention? Which sections did you find interesting? You may have some idea of what it is that you would like to write your research paper about; now is the time to crystallize it.
You can search to find some topics if you require inspiration, or are unsure about what you want to explore in depth.
- Library: The History major’s best friend! Go and look at some History tomes and journals to review all the things you can write about. Talk to the librarian to find out which journals are perused by students when they come in search of a research paper topic.
- School archives: An excellent resource for checking out past papers. You might stumble upon something that requires further study and research. You will have to have a lot of patience though, as school archives and databases are notorious for data stored there.
- Your teacher: When in doubt your teacher is your best bet for guidance. They have done this for years and formulating a topic from a category is easy for them. Your teacher may have a list of research paper topics that they find worthy of a research paper.
- Textbooks: Textbooks and reference books are goldmines for the seeker. See if you can strike gold while going through indices. Some of the best topics come from an idea that takes seed during a skimming.
- Internet: You can easily find hundreds of topics on the Internet. Visit websites that are dedicated to the subject of history to see what academics are saying about a good research topic in History. Online agencies can also help you with selecting a topic and even writing the paper. It all depends from then on. You might be interested in finding the topic online and then writing the paper independently or you may want to explore the option of online guidance throughout the project.
Whatever you do to select a topic, keep in mind that your topic should be innovative, interesting and intriguing. Anything that is drab and done to death is going to make the whole paper drag.